Delaware Literary Society – Thompsontown, PA (1911) Semi-Centennial Celebration


In stock



Proceedings of the Semi-Centennial Celebration of the Organization of The Delaware Literary Society Held at Thompsontown, Juniata County, Pennsylvania Friday and Saturday, June 23 and 24, 1911 (Raeder Press, Wilkes-Barre, 1911) along with

The Semi-Centennial Edition of the Constitution, By-Laws, and Rules of Order of Delaware Literary Society Organized April 26, 1861 at Thompsontown, Juniata Co., Pa. Revised, Corrected and Amended. Oct. 1874, Sept. 1886 and Oct. 1910 Communis Propria Dicere. (NP, ND)

Uncommon ephemeral items.

  1. Octavo. iv, 80 pages, with portraits of some members scattered throughout. Bound in blue-green pebbled cloth with double rule blind-stamped at top and bottom of front cover.  Short-title gilt stamped on front cover, spine  blank.
  2. 32mo. 28 pages in beige wraps.

Condition: 1) Cover spotted, light mustiness. Hinges tight. Overall VG- 2) Rear cover has a folded corner (small and tight). Staples show no sign of rust, no mustiness. VG+

DELAWARE LITERARY SOCIETY.—From a debating society, holding its sessions in “Smith’s School-House,” one and one-half miles north of Thompsontown, the “Thompsontown Lyceum” was organized on the 29th of November, 1858, and at once moved to Thompsontown and held its meetings in the “Stone Academy,” now on Bridge Street, north of the town centre.

On the 26th day of April, 1861, the lyceum was merged into the present organization, under the title of “The Delaware Literary Society,” with the following as its “charter” or organization members: John B. Porter, President; George W. Lloyd, Secretary; Theorus D. Garman, J. C. McNaughton, John C. Tennis, P. L. Greenleaf, M.D., Edwin Davis, Miss Susan Rothrock, Miss Fannie Greenleaf, Miss Jennie R. Tennis, Miss Elizabeth Seiber, Miss Mattie J. Lukens, Miss A. B. Greenleaf, Miss Tillie Kauffman, Miss Clementine McNaughton, Miss Elizabeth Haldeman, Miss Jennie E. James, Miss Tillie Hutchison, Miss Mattie R. Smith. The objects of this society are set forth as follows:

“We, the undersigned, do declare ourselves an association for mutual improvement in elocution, composition and debate, and for enlarging our fund of general intelligence, in which object we desire to exhibit a due consideration for the opinions and feelings of others, to maintain a perfect command of temper in all our intercourse, to seek for truth in all our exercises; and, to further these objects, have adopted for our government the following Constitution, By-Laws and Rules of Order.”

These now constitute a twenty-page printed pamphlet, which, up to 1874, were in manuscript only.

The society elects a full complement of officers every six months, who are inducted into office on the first meeting night of January and July of each year. The meetings are held weekly, on Friday evening, and the length of session is limited to ten and a half o’clock P.M.

The present officers are M. Luther Keizer, president; Miss Annie Leyder, secretary; M. G. Shuman, financial secretary; Miss Lottie McAlister, librarian; Edwin Davis, treasurer; J. N. Grubb, critic. This society now holds its meetings in the borough school-house. ” – History of that part of the Susquehanna and Juniata valleys, embraced in the counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania… – Ellis and Hungerford (1886)