Emmert, David. Reminiscences of Juniata College: Quarter Century 1876-1901. (Huntingdon, PA: by the author, 1901)
12mo. Table of contents and 183 pages. Hardcover with light blue cloth-covered boards stamped in dark blue and gilt. Paper is glossed, illustrated with photographs.
Condition: Ex-Library from the Huntingdon Public Library, a gift plate is on the front paste down with the names Mrs. Benjamin Hinchman and Mrs. Alvin Waite typed in. Small red bordered tag in upper right of paste down with 108 written in. Library pocket on rear free end paper. Library notes and stamps throughout. Edges worn, particularly at corners.
This is the first history of Juniata College, published less than ten years after being renamed from the Brethren Normal School.
“The Huntingdon Normal School was established by a spry young Huntingdon physician, Dr. Andrew B. Brumbaugh, and his two cousins, Henry and John Brumbaugh. Henry provided a second-story room over his local print shop for classes, while John lodged and fed the college’s first teacher, Jacob M. Zuck. Andrew was to “provide students and furniture”. Juniata’s first classes were held on April 17, 1876 with Zuck teaching Rebecca Cornelius, Maggie D. Miller, and Gaius M. Brumbaugh, the only son of Andrew Brumbaugh.
“In 1877 the school changed its name to “Brethren Normal School.” At this time Zuck also discussed adding a “Scientific Course” and issuing “Certificates of Graduation”. In 1879, classes moved into Founder’s Hall, the school’s first permanent building on the present-day campus then only known as “The Building”. On May 11 of same year, Jacob Zuck died from pneumonia at age 32 when he insisted on sleeping in the then unfinished Founders Hall without a heater. James Quinter was than chosen to lead the school as the school’s first president.
“The college was renamed “Juniata College” in 1894 for the nearby Juniata River, one of the principal tributaries of the Susquehanna River, due to a ruling at the Brethren Church’s Annual Meeting against using the term “Brethren” in naming a school. The name Juniata College was made the schools legal name in 1896.” – Wikipedia