Morgan, William. The Almighty Wall: The Architecture of Henry Vaughan (New York, Cambridge, MA and London: The Architecture Foundation and MIT Press,1983) Probable 1st edition.
Large octavo. xiv, 210 pages including index. Profusely illustrated. Hardcover. Bound in grey cloth-covered boards stamped in red on spine. Includes glossy dust jacket.
Condition: Near Fine. Previous booksellers notes in pencil on first free end paper.
Henry Vaughan (1845 – June 30, 1917) was a prolific and talented church architect who came to America from England to bring the English Gothic style to the American branch of the Anglican Communion (the Episcopal Church). He was an apprentice under George Frederick Bodley and went on to great success popularizing the Gothic Revival style.
Vaughan was born in Cheshire, England. When he was a child, his family relocated to Dollar in Clackmannanshire, Scotland. He attended Dollar Academy, and was awarded a bronze medal in art from the school in 1863. He then began his apprenticeship under Bodley, eventually becoming head draftsman at the firm of Bodley and Garner.
In 1881, Vaughan came to America, settling in Boston and opening an office in Pemberton Square. He married Mary Shellow a few years later and they had ten children together. He rapidly found success with the Anglican (Episcopal) and Catholic churches. His first commission in the USA was the Chapel of the Society of Saint Margaret.
In the mid-1880s, Vaughan began to receive commissions from Edward Francis Searles, working on numerous projects continuing through until Vaughan’s death.
Vaughan died in 1917 in the Boston suburb of Newton Centre, and was interred at the Washington National Cathedral (of which he was an architect – MRB). – Wikipedia